Sunday 8 May 2011

... getting Steampumped!



After much anticipation, Saturday May 7th finally rolled around. It wasn't that it was a Saturday that was so exciting - although it was a benefit from the wardrobe side - but the fact that it was Steampump.

Yes. Steampump. "An evening of Steampunk edification and enjoyment in subterranean Melbourne" - that direct quote from the website exactly sums up what Steampump was.

But I'll start at the start. 

I spent all day putting together clothes. All day. My bedroom went from neat to messy in half an hour, my wardrobe is empty, and my sewing table has disappeared under skirts, petticoats, jackets and coats. I had to put together three outfits (one for each of us in my family that went) which was so much fun. I think next time I'll need to invite a larger group.

It took us hours to get ready, which perhaps was to be expected, and I rediscovered that our bathroom really isn't big enough for three women. I think we need three bathrooms. But once we were ready to go, we headed on our way.

I'll summarise our journey to the city with this: nerve-wracking. Next time, I'll take a better map.

Once we arrived, we headed to the Donkey Wheel House Basement. After having some trouble with the ticketing and Paypal, we found the organisers to be terrific. Just fantastic. They held our tickets at the doors, and when we finally arrived, we were shown in and around with great courtesy. I have never been more impressed with the organising staff. I wish there was someone, such as a boss or something, that I could lavish praise on. They were marvellous.

So then we looked around. It was... amazing. I have never seen anything like it. I didn't think there would be anything like it in Melbourne! It was huge, and there were so many people - everyone looked so lovely, in fantastic clothes. And the program! There was so much to see: gorgeous fashion from Clockwork Butterfly (which I just adored), burlesque performances, steampunk hoola-hooping, a demonstration on snuff, magician Richard Vegas, a Faro table, Victorian Era bareknuckle boxing, Gentlemen's self-defence (with a cane, no less!) and many eccentric gadgets and gismos on display as well jewellery and little pretties to buy. The music was great all night too, not a pop song within earshot! We got there a little late, so we missed some demonstrations, but it has just made me want to go again next year.

Another great aspect of the night was the Steampunks themselves. Everyone was so polite. We spoke to so many people about their clothes, accessories, laserguns, demonstrations and stalls - and everyone was so happy to just chat and be merry. It was just so lovely.

The highest-light of the evening would be when my group won the 'best dressed' award. It was such as wonderful, unexpected surprise as there were so many fantastic outfits there. We'll be headed to the Steampunked Circus Oz as our prize, which I am utterly thrilled about and can't wait for! (You can bet there will be an entry about that in the future!)

The one downside was that I was so filled with wonderment that I forget to take photos! We even had to stop into a supermarket on the way to grab batteries (which got some funny looks), and I still forgot to whip out the camera. But aside from that, my first foray into the exciting world of steampunk was a blazing success!


This is Shi, hypnotised by the inner gears of her shiny new pocket watch.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, it looks gorgeous! Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was, Josie - I'm hoping they do go ahead with the September event too because this one was just so much fun! :)

    ReplyDelete