Sunday 29 May 2011

... being Politically Correct

Okay, so maybe not. I'm just thinking about it because of some articles I've been reading for school. Political correctness. PC (although that makes me think of personal computer, which could just be showing my age...). It's all very important. Anyway, we were give some articles and a short bedtime story written in a PC-style. The tale reminded me of a great little book I picked up from an op-shop called "Once Upon a More Enlightened Time" that I just adored and giggled over. (I really must find it again...)

As someone who values language very highly, I do see the importance of being unoffensive in speaking and writing, especially in a public sphere.  For politicians, newspapers, TV and radio especially, I think it's extremely good practice to use a blanket of PC language.  It's nicer that way - people aare more comfortable and no one has to see/hear/face/be exposed to anything that emotionally or societally threatens them or someone they know. We don't need sexist, racist or offensive in any other way to be broadcast to the public at large. I agree with the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis: I believe that our language represents our values both individually and as a culture. I don't think many people understand the power that our language has over us in shaping our thoughts and societies,  and how we use language affects everyone we come in contact with.

Satirical comedy, I guess, is perhaps the only or at least, one of the few, places where I don't mind seeing some creative political incorrectness. And so, I'm going to list some examples I have, but some I do feel are much more humourous than actualy useful in everyday life.

Alcoholic: Anti-Sobriety Activist
Corpse: Permanently Static Post-Human Mass
Cowardly: Challenge Challenged. 
Drunk: Chemically Challenged.
Plagiarism: Previously owned prose. (By the way, as a sidenote, I really, really, really, really, really hate plagiarism. Just saying'.)
Rudeness: Tact Avoidance
Skinny: Skeletally Prominent
Vomiting: Unplanned Re-examination of Recent Food Choices


Anyway, I'm sure you've all heard of these sorts of things. If you have a favourite, let me know! Word/language humour is a big thumbs-up from me :)

This is Shi, enjoying schoolwork.

PS. I think I was rambling.  Please excuse my rambling - I have a flu at the moment, which means my writing skills drop significantly. I do still love it though, even when I'm sure it's rubbish. And it rambles. Which I'm doing now... again... *sneezes*

3 comments:

  1. Konnichiwa :> .. Nice Burogu neh ~ .
    ..Please
    Follow my blog ~http://yume-suicidalnote.blogspot.com/
    and http://kawaii-monostuff.blogspot.com/
    if you dont mind ^^ ..
    I will follow u too :) Arigatou neh ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arigatou gozaimashita! And sure, I'll follow your blogs ^^ We have quite a few interests in common! (I love J-Rock too!! ^^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skeletally Prominent is my favourite 8D

    ReplyDelete