Wednesday 25 May 2011

... listening to the GazettE's new single "Vortex"

So, the first post about the afore-promised music! And it's the GazettE (of course, because I love them).



Well, the GazettE's latest single came out today, 25th of May. And I, like any fan, looked it up on Youtube because it's exceedingly hard to my hands on any new releases by my favourite Japanese bands otherwise. Yes, I'll probably buy the album as soon as it comes out.

I have a headcold right now, and this might affect my judgement, but... My first impression was that it was a little generic... a bit "normal". The music was not nearly as interesting as some of their other stuff, but going by their latest releases, perhaps I shouldn't be surprised. Shiver, Red and Pledge haven't exactly been Katherine in the Trunk, Nausea & Shudder or Taion to me. Actually, since signing with Sony, I think perhaps they aren't as adventurous as they used to be. Come on, Gaze-boys, I want more Filth in the Beauty and Silly God Disco! Don't be afraid to experiment with your sound!

Which, I guess, maybe they have been - after all, I'm certainly hearing a lot more synthesizer in there. Not exactly a bad thing, but... perhaps I'm just used to the guitars having those kind of parts.  But more importantly, enough with the vocal modulation! Ruki, your voice is perfect, so leave it alone! Since Red, I've been hearing too much computerised-pitch-toning-things going on, and I don't like it. The effects over the vocals were fine in Distress and Coma because it worked, but the ones used in Red and Vortex? It's just too much.


Also, for a Visual Kei band, I expected the outfits to be a touch more dramatic. Not like Versailles or Kiryu, because that's not the GazettE's style, but the clothes in Vortex are very toned down. Not even a ridiculous suit for Ruki! The only exciting thing about the new look was probably that Aoi's hair is now bright pink (which could be seen as somewhat ironic) - it's a nice change from the usual black. As for the others... I couldn't really see. I think Reita and Kai have the same colour hair now, and Uruha...well, he's a darker blond, but similar hair style to usual - maybe a little longer. Ruki is dark blond too, for now, darker in the video than in that pre-release photo.

The video wasn't as compelling as others like Filth in the Beauty or Taion either. It was much more like Red, or even like Before I Decay or Leech - fast moving cameras, hardly stopping to focus on the band. Not so much storyline happing either, just some guy in a straightjacket (being driven insane by the GazettE's music?). I will say that I'd love to have the room with the speakers - red or white, not really fussed - just because aside from the guy going crazy, that would make a great room for parties. The music would go amazingly loud! And that's always good in my books.

On another, completely different note, I am loving the guitars. I mean, I know they've had them for a while (at least, Uruha and Reita have) but I've never noticed the pattern design on Aoi's ESP. That is one nice looking guitar.

All in all, I'm not sure I liked it. I'm sure it will grow on me (Shiver did, but maybe that's because I like the second season of Kuroshitsuji....). Vortex sounds like a good head-banging song, and will probably do well at concerts, fitting right in there with Vermin and Ogre. As for the lyrics, I don't know... the only site I really trust would be the gazette_lyrics LiveJournal archive because they are always meticulously done by the translators, and it's not up there yet.

In any case, if you're a fan of rock-metal, Visual Kei or the Gazette, check it out. Here's link to the video, but it will probably go down  in a few days (you know what the PS Company is like), and then we'll all have to buy the single. Enjoy it while it lasts :)



This is Shi, rockin' out!

No comments:

Post a Comment